Impact Evaluation of “Expansion and Strengthening of Mosque Library (1st Revised)”
Project Name:Impact Evaluation of “Expansion and Strengthening of Mosque Library (1st Revised)”
Duration: January 2020 – June 2020
Client: Director General, Monitoring and Evaluation Sector-7, IMED, Ministry of Planning, Bangladesh
Funded by: GoB
Description of Project:
Implementation Monitoring and Evaluation Division (IMED) under the Ministry of Planning performs impact evaluation of few selected important completed projects implemented under Annual Development Programme (ADP). Like all other previous year, in the current fiscal year 2019-20, IMED has selected 24 completed important projects to undertake impact. Like all other Monitoring & Evaluation Sectors (M&E Sector) Monitoring & Evaluation Sector-7 of IMED has been assigned to perform impact evaluation of several completed projects. One of those projects are sponsored by Ministry of Religious Affairs. The completed project titled ‘Expansion and Strengthening of Mosque Library (1st Revised)’ is one of the selected projects for impact evaluation under revenue budget in FY 2019-2020. It will support the development of IMED as a central organization entrusted with monitoring and evaluation of the development projects in public sector, line Ministry/Division (Ministry of Religious Affairs) and the Agency (Islamic Foundation) responsible for implementation of theProject.
Description of actual services provided by DPDS in the assignment:
The objective of this assignment is to recruit a leading consulting firm to in-depth monitoring the project in all aspects in collaboration with project personnel and all possible stakeholders. The outcome of the proposed study would allow the sponsoring Ministry/Division and Agency to implement the recommendations made by Consultants in order to choose new projects and activities based on the evaluation for future better outcome. The main specific objectives of the assignment are the following:
- Review to check whether the activities were conducted in accordance with the approved DPP/RDPP;
- Review and analysis of the project activities and the outcome (as proposed in DPP/RDPP and the actual outcome) to assess whether they could achieve the objective of the project;
- Make recommendation for the sponsoring Ministry/Division and implementing Agency in achieving the objectives of the project and making decision while taking new projects in coming future.
Actual services provided by the consultant:
- Review all documents related to the project including DPP/RDPP, all meeting decisions about the project, and any other references mentioned in the project, basis of all price estimate etc.; also review the project background, objectives, approval/revision, fundingetc.
- Collect information related to physical and financial target, physical and financial progress of all components/activities and present those throughtables/charts;
- Review the status of achieving the project objecting and describe the related observation
- Review and analyze all procurement of goods, works and services made under the project and give feedback whether they are accomplished in accordance with the procurement laws and regulations (PPA-2006 and PPR-2008);
- Review the goods, works and services procured under the project and the status of the required human resources to sustain the facilities procured through theproject;
- Review/analyze and comment whether procuring entity followed the conditions mentioned in the agreement/ BOQ/ specification and fulfilled them, also whether proper test/inspection done during the procurement ofworks/goods/services;
- Review the procurement plan of the DPP/ RDPP, the Annual Procurement Plan approved by the HOPE and actual procurement to analyze whether the procurement followed the approved procurement plan;
- Review and analyze the risks of the project implementation such as-delay in financing, delay in procuring works/goods/services, management inefficiency, time and/or cost escalation of the projectetc.;
- Review and analyze the information related to project revision, fund allocation, fund release, payment etc. of theproject;
- Analyze the performances of project personnel including Project Director in implementing the projectactivity;
- Find out the reasons for delay (if any) in implementing the projectactivity;
- Review all the progress reports produced by the project authority during implementation of theproject;
- Review the progress of the activities of the project and analyze whether the activities are compatible with the objectives of the project and providefeedback;
- Review and analyze the roles of different stakeholders (agencies, divisions/ministries) involved in funding/implementing the projectactivities;
- Review and analyze the problems related to implementation of the project, such as delays in financing, delays in procurement of goods, works and services, quality of project management and extension of project duration and cost, and any other aspects of theproject;
- Review and analyze the effectiveness and usefulness of activities carried out through the project, and the success of the project (Success Stories, ifany);
- Review and analyses whether the project activities are adequate to meet the objective of theproject;
- Conduct SWOT analysis (Strength, Weakness, Opportunities and Threat) of the project and provide appropriate recommendations to overcome weaknesses and challenges (ifany);
- Provide feedback on exit plan of the project for the sustainability and smooth operation after implementation of theproject;
Any other task, related to the project, assigned by the Procuring Agency(IMED).